Live, Look, Feel Beautiful

Our slogan is the strategy we live by here at La Bella Hair Studio. Our stylists are highly trained professionals who can keep you to date on the latest trends, as well as give you a style that is personalized to your lifestyle. Our convenient, relaxing location is a getaway experience when you are here.

We started this blog for those who have had bad hair days, but needed a little extra help with tips and techniques to help transform your day to day look. Now it has evolved into a place where you can still get those tips, but also can stay informed on what is going on in our community. We want everyone to embrace the beauty around them-especially the beauty within.
It is my mission to help all of us see what true beauty surrounds us.

La Bella Hair Studio. Live, Look, Feel Beautiful

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

La Bella Vita: Mother's Day Makeover Pt. II

La Bella's slogan "Live, Look, Feel Beautiful" is more to us than just a catch phrase-- it is a vision set forth by our founder/owner Jessie because she knew that she wanted our salon to represent more than just helping people with their looks (although we are pretty good at it!). She wanted La Bella Hair Studio to encompass and embrace beauty in all aspects of life, which is something we strive for every day. It is important to embrace the beauty within yourself and the community in which you live.This year on our blog we're featuring a series called "La Bella Vita," meaning "The Beautiful Life." We have made it our mission to find twelve special people within our community, who have somehow impacted the lives around them, to be featured every month.

May marks the fifth month of the year and brings many great things, like flowers and sunny, warm weather, but above all else, it is the month to celebrate and appreciate all the wonderful Mothers in the world! This May, we wanted to give back by offering a Mother's Day Makeover to a couple of very special moms who live here locally in Richmond. We held a drawing and, although we would've loved to feature all of you awesome moms out there, we narrowed it down to two wonderful women-- each with a story to tell, and me here to share it!


Our 2nd Mother's Day Makeover winner is Donna Kies! She is a US Army veteran, mother of 4, and an ESL teacher who has been happily married for 29 years! She has had quite the adventure of a life traveling the world, raising her kids (including twins!), and making the big decision to switch careers while being a mom at the same time! Introducing Donna: The before pic.....




I was privileged enough to be the one to do Donna's makeover, and during the time I got to know her story, I was very moved and happy for the experience. After hearing everything she had to say, we decided to do something a little different for this post: Donna wanted to share her story with all of you directly (instead of  Q&A format). I am so excited because this is a first for any of La Bella's Blog posts! We hope you enjoy it: 



          My name is Donna M.H. Kies,  I married my high school sweetheart, David Kies.  We dated for 7years, and finally got married.   We have been married for 29 years.  We have four children, Jason, 27, twin girls, Frances and Alexandra, 23, and Taylor, 22. 
          I graduated from Tucker High School in 1980.  I went to Chowan College and got an associated degree in Photography.  I joined the U.S. Army and was a photographer and a writer for the newspapers.  It was a great job with a variety of experiences…threw a grenade, firing machine guns and meeting famous people like Kenny Rogers.  It showed me a different world..
          I got married and got out of the Army to have babies.  My first child was born in Alaska where I was stationed.  We traveled back to Richmond to be close to family.  Three years later, I was pregnant with twins.  We were so excited.  Things were going well until about the 25 week.  The doctor said that it was twin-to twin transfusion where one baby gives all the blood to the other baby so there is a discrepancy in size.  The small baby measured 3 weeks smaller than the big baby. He said that he had 3 sets in the past year, but only two children had survived.  No set of twins had survived that year.  So, it was definitely serious!.  It was devastating.  I prayed, my church prayed, and my friends’ churches prayed.  It was awesome to see how God works.  After it was diagnosed through ultra sound, it began to reverse itself gradually.  The little baby began to catch up in size.  I looked for a name that meant “giver”, but I couldn’t find one, but I did find Gabrielle which means “God is my strength”.  So this is my little giver baby’s middle name…Alexandra Gabrielle; she had to have Gabrielle in her name because this is the reason they are alive!!  They were born at 38 weeks…fat and happy.. 6lbs 5oz. and 5lbs 10 oz…fat and happy!!  And….thirteen months 10 days later, came baby number 4..Taylor…  He slept so much the first six months that I called the doctor to ask if there was a sleeping disease that I need to watch out for.  He said, “just count your blessings!” 

Donna with her 4 beautiful children: 1993

          I went back to school to become a teacher when Taylor was 6 months old. I love helping people, and by teaching, I could help my husband support us.  He worked two jobs and had very long hours.  I could, also, help the students.  I started taking one class each semester, at night.  I did homework when everyone one taking a nap.  When the girls went to kindergarten, Taylor went to preschool part time, I went to school full time.  Seven years later, I graduated from VCU with a Masters in Teaching, and a Bachelors in English, and I started teaching right  away.  I worked in Hanover County for a year and a half, but realized my children still needed me at home, so I stayed at home a couple more years.  When Taylor started the sixth grade, I started in Henrico County.  The next year I came to Tucker.  That was eleven years ago. 
          I love teaching the ESL students; they really need someone at school...Now I understand the term “school marm”.  That’s what I am…I am really their school mom..and I love it !!  Being a mom really is the best job; It is what I do, not only to my children, but to the ESL students who need someone at school to help them sometimes get through the day, to work a school issue, and to think about what their future may be like.
          Our life was once quite hectic when the children were young and in school with all the activities that the children did.  We were active in Church, played soccer, played a musical instrument, and we active in the Boys and Girls Scouts.  There was always something to do or someplace to be.  Most of our activities were done as a family since they were all so close in age. So, it was hard from having many activities to ….nothing because they all left pretty much at the same time…It just took time to adjust.
           Now, life is a little slower, not too much though.  My husband and I are having fun!!  We go hunting and kayaking and we travel together. And sometimes….I can get him to go dancing with me!!
          My life without children…would have been…no life….  I have always known that I wanted children, and knew that I would have children… It is all I have ever wanted to be.  And if I couldn’t have had children?  I would have adopted…or….taught!!  There are always children who need a mom…and love.

A more recent photo of the entire family!

Thank you so much Donna, for opening up to us and sharing your amazing life story as a mother! Also, I speak on behalf of La Bella when I say thank you so much for your service to our country! You have had quite the adventure and, being a mother of one, I cannot imagine having 4 children so close in age....all the while having your hands full with pursuing your masters and becoming a high school teacher (which is like being a mother to hundreds more!).

The wait is over, now we reveal Donna's new look: The after pics...



         















Such a beautiful transformation! Once again Donna, we cannot thank you enough for sharing your story and letting us give you the makeover you deserve! 


La Bella Hair Studio. Live, look, feel beautiful.
Inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment